Kiwi- is one of the most delicious fruits around. It is also one of the most nutritious fruits you’ll eat. Kiwi is full of health benefits.
Kiwi is one of the best foods for improving digestive health. This is because it is an excellent source of soluble fiber, which acts as a digestive aid. Diets that are high in fiber can also help to reduce high cholesterol levels, which can lower the risk of heart disease. Fiber-rich foods, such as kiwi, are also good for keeping blood sugar levels under control. Kiwi also helps to prevent and settle bloating.
The immune system helps to fight off colds and flu and protect the body from illnesses. The immune system can be boosted by eating certain foods, and kiwi is one of them. They are packed with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals, which all help to promote a healthy immune system.
Kiwis are rich in vitamins, minerals, and folic acid
To be honest, my rheumatologist has me take a calcium supplement, so I feel that Kiwi will beneficial for arthritis due to its immune system boosting properties.
Kiwis are rich in vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that helps to boost the immune system. In fact, kiwi has twice as much vitamin C as oranges. Just one kiwi will provide a person with their recommended daily intake of this important vitamin. Eating vitamin C rich fruit, such as kiwi, can also aid respiratory symptoms associated with asthma. Vitamin C has also been shown to produce energy and improve iron absorption.
Folic acid is important for everyone. It is especially important to increase folic acid intake before and during pregnancy to prevent neural tube defects in babies. Kiwi is a great natural source of folic acid, so it is a good food choice for a pregnant woman. Kiwi is very rich in potassium, having about the same amount as bananas, but with only half the calories. Potassium is said to be beneficial for heart health and for blood pressure.
Ways To Incorporate Kiwi into an Everyday Diet
It is easy to incorporate kiwi into an everyday diet because it is so versatile. Plus it tastes great in so many things. Here are some ideas to try:
- Enjoy it on its own. Simply slice in half and scoop out the delicious green flesh.
- Chop and add to fruit salads.
- Add to fruit smoothies and drinks.
- Use kiwi to make jams, chutneys and spreads.
- Add to summer salads and salsas.
- Slice thinly and use it as a topping for toast and pancakes.
- Chop cubes of kiwi fruit, freeze and add to summer drinks.
- Poach kiwi and serve it hot with ice cream for a delicious dessert.
- Kiwi can be used in pies, tarts, cakes and other puddings.
- Kiwi can be used to make cool and refreshing ice cream or gelato.
Would you like a kiwi cocktail recipe? I found one at the Zespri site.
James Bond-style Kiwi Martini
What You’ll Need:
- 2 Zespri kiwifruit, peeled & chopped (Green or SunGold)
- 2 oz. vodka
- 2 oz. gin
- 2 oz. Lillet Blanc or dry vermouth
What You’ll Do:
- Combine Zespri kiwifruit, vodka, gin, Lillet Blanc and ice in cocktail shaker.
- Shake all ingredients and strain into two martini glasses, rims dipped in egg-white and sugar.
- Garnish with unpeeled kiwifruit slice.
Alternate recipe: You can very easily turn this into a mocktail by using 6 fl. oz. of white grape juice and a dash of bitters instead of alcohol. This turns the martini into a flavorful Kiwi Grape Juice that everyone — young or young-at-heart — will enjoy.
So there is the proof. Not only are kiwi delicious, but they are also packed full of goodness that bodies need. Eating just one kiwi a day can help boost the immune system, improve digestive health, and provide the recommended daily dose of vitamin C.